“He said to them, “Then give to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.”
Jesus had been asked whether it was right for the Jews to pay taxes to Caesar. His response was simple. As the Message has it
“Then give Caesar what is his and give God what is his.”
There are good biblical ways of interpreting this and of coming up with a new legalism. But why not go beyond the law and into the realm of love and beauty. For example:
- When you see a beautiful sunset pause to watch it and thank God for it – and for the eyes to see and the heart to respond.
- When you hear a lovely song pause to enjoy the moment and thank God for the ears to hear, the heart to be moved and for the person who heard it before a sound was made.
- When you smell a lovely fragrance pause to identify it and thank God who also loves a ‘pleasing aroma.’
- When you hear a child laugh pause in wonder at the miracle of life and pray a blessing that the laughter may never end.
- When you see a beggar pause to smile and give them something that will make them look in wonder – because you have been blessed.
- When you read of a tragedy pause to weep with the Lord and pray for those involved.
- When you see the turmoil in the nations pause to ask God for help – because He alone holds them in His hand and His Kingdom is coming.
- Then when you go to His church open your heart and your hand to His glory – Who has given you so very much to have, to use and to enjoy – including His Son.
Share your life and living with God – as He has shared His with you.
Give God the love for which He longs – love for Him, His creation and His people, all of them
Thank You Father for all that You have shared with me. Help me to receive it and respond with joy and love. Amen.