“In the beginning was the Word,
and the Word was with God,
and the Word was God”
Jesus Christ is God. He is not a man or an angel with extraordinary powers. He is God. Scripture is clear on it and so was He.
- “We wait for the blessed hope–the glorious appearing of our great God and Saviour, Jesus Christ” (Titus 2:13)
- “Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life” (1 John 5:20)
- “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God” (John 1:1)
- “Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness” (Philippians 2:6-7)
Jesus Christ Himself was clear about it.
- “I and the Father are one” (John 10:30)
- “The high priest said to him, “I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God.” “Yes, it is as you say,” Jesus replied” (Matthew 26:63-64)
- The religious leaders understood quite clearly that Jesus was claiming equality with God. To do so was considered blasphemy and was punishable with death.
Jesus Christ exercised the authority and prerogatives and power that are God’s alone.
- He forgave sins on His own authority –
- “But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins….” He said to the paralytic, “I tell you, get up, take your mat and go home.” (Mark 2:10-11)
- He raised the dead
- “Jesus called in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!”(\John 11:43)
- He demonstrated His power over nature
- “He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm” (Mark 4:39)
- He turned water into wine (John 2:7-11)
Jesus Christ was in all ways and at all times fully God – however He became also fully man as we shall see. For today we acknowledge that He is in truth God and, as His name Immanuel reveals, He is “God with us” This is the wonder of the Incarnation. This Jesus Christ who came to seek, to save and to give us new and eternal life is indeed God.
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16)
My Saviour is “My Lord and my God!”(John 20:28)
Lord Jesus as I acknowledge Your humanity help me to acknowledge too Your divinity and to be silent in wonder, love and praise. Amen.