“I am the way and the truth and the life.
No one comes to the Father except through me”
Jesus is the only way to God the Father. He was quite clear about this.
- “No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6)
The full implications of that statement might surprise us. However, what is clear is that without the ministry, death, resurrection and ascension of Jesus Christ no one in all of creation would be able to enter into the presence of God and enjoy eternal life with Him. The way to God that was closed through sin would remain closed for all eternity.
Not only has Jesus opened the way to God once again but He and He alone is that Way – as well as being all the Truth that we will ever need and the Life for which we long.
- “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6)
This is highlighted elsewhere in Scripture as it shows very clearly that our salvation is through faith in the Lord Jesus and not though any efforts of our own.
- “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16)
- Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God– children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God” (John 1:12-13)
- Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”(John 6:29)
The work that God sent His Son – the Word made flesh – to do was completed during His earthly ministry.
- “so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it” (Isaiah 55:11)
- “Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit” (John 19:30)
Jesus Christ is our life, our new life and our eternal life.
- “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men” (John 1:1-4)
- “The Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” (John 1:29)
- “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die” (John 11:25-26)
- “In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am” (John 14:2-3)
Lord Jesus, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” (Mark 9:24) – and to live in belief every day. Amen.