“If my people would but listen to me,
if Israel would follow my ways,
how quickly would I subdue their enemies and turn my hand against their foes! Those who hate the LORD would cringe before him, and their punishment would last forever. But you would be fed with the finest of wheat; with honey from the rock I would satisfy you”
God wants a people to love and to bless – and He wants a people who will let Him love and bless them.
However He did not create a nation of puppets – He gave us the freedom to choose. In doing so He made it clear that His way alone was the way of blessing. Without Him we were on our own.
- “Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation” (Exodus 19:5-6)
The repeated punishment of the nation for their breaking the covenant and turning away from Him to other ways and to other gods was aimed at bringing them to their senses and leading them back to God and to life. It would work – but only for a while. They would soon forget the mighty expressions of God’s love and power by which they had been blessed, and drift away. God’s lament is terrible,
- “If my people would but listen to me … how quickly would I …..”
But still God did not give up on us.
- “God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8)
- “For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost” (Luke 19:10)
And yet a recent survey has found that one of the most popular funeral songs is Frank Sinatra singing ‘My Way.’ A quick look at the world news will reveal the sad truth that so many are doing just that.
Jesus makes it quite clear,
- “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6)
There is only one way of life and blessing for both now and eternity – and that’s God’s way. There is no other way, merely a desolation. Why would we insist on going there ….
Am I open to God’s blessings by walking with Him – or am I on another path?
Father open my eyes to Your Truth and help me to stay very close to You. May Your Holy Spirit lead me and guide me on the Way of Your eternal Love and Life. Amen.