“The Holy Spirit will come upon you,
and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.
So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God”
To summarise Jesus humanity and His Divinity.
- Jesus was a human led by the Holy Spirit.
- He was born by a human mother through the action of the Holy Spirit (Luke 1:35)
- His human ancestry reached back to David, Abraham and Adam (Matthew 1:1-17)
- He grew up, learned and submitted to His human parents (Luke 2:51-52)
- He knew human hunger and thirst, suffering and pain.
- He experienced temptation (Luke 4:1-13)
- He died and was buried like humans
- Jesus was God in human flesh
- The Virgin birth was not His beginning but the way in which God became flesh (John 1:14)
- He existed before creation (John 1:1)
- Through Him all things were made (John 1:3)
- He is the full expression of the Father (John 14:9)
- He and the Father are one (John 10:31)
- He is in nature God and equal to God (Philippians 2:6)
- His deity is revealed in His moral perfection and holiness, and His power and authority
- Jesus is Immanuel – God with us (Matthew 1:23)
By Almighty God’s great act of love His divine Son received our human nature from the Virgin Mary, His mother. He became human so that in Him human beings might be adopted as children of God, and inheritors of the Kingdom of God. It is through Him, and Him alone, that we receive the forgiveness of sins and life eternal with God.
“For God so loved the world that
he gave his one and only Son,
that whoever believes in him shall not perish
but have eternal life”
God did this for me
Lord help me to spend time contemplating all of this and the depth of its significance for You, for me, and for us all. Amen.
(Picture: Nicolas Poussin, The Annunciation, 1657, National Gallery, London)