“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God,
“who is, and who was, and who is to come,
Jesus is our beginning – and He is also our end.
Everything points towards Him.
- “I am the way and the truth and the life. No-one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6)
- “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent” (John 6:29)
Everything that God has provided for us is accessible only through our relationship with Jesus Christ.
- “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ” (Ephesians 1:3)
- “He predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will” (Ephesians 1:5)
- “Now if we are children, then we are heirs-heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ” (Romans 8:17)
Jesus great call was for us to come to Him – to follow Him – to stay with Him – and to do what He did. In other words we were to stay so close to Him the we became like Him – which is God’s great purpose.
- “For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son” (Romans 8:29)
- “And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his likeness” (2 Corinthians 3:18)
- “We know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is” (1 John 3:2)
Everything as we know it will come to an end only when Christ comes again in glory
- “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats” (Matthew 25:31-32)
- “I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war” (Revelation 19:11)
Jesus is our end. He is the goal that we seek, the destination for which we aim and the purpose for which we live. He is the way to life and the way of life, the truth that is beyond definition and understanding, and the life that we long for both in quality and reality. He is the love that we desperately desire, the fulfilment that we cannot find, the peace that eludes us, and the joy that escapes us. In the fullest possible understanding of the word He is fully and completely and eternally our Saviour.
There is nowhere else to go and no one else to whom we can turn.
Have me and hold me Lord Jesus – and keep me safe from myself and the world. Amen.