“Blessed is the man
who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
or sit in the seat of mockers.
But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night”
Following on from Jesus statement yesterday that,
“Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God” (Matthew 4:4)
We find the same truth expressed in the first of the Psalms.
“Blessed is the man (whose) … delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night” (Psalm 1:1-2)
Importantly the Psalmist is not talking of a wilful obedience but of a delight of the heart – a joy and an inspiration. These are strong and influential words related more to love than to gritted determination. He tells us that we find this in the revelation contained in ‘the law of the Lord.’
The law referred to in this instance is not the merely the commandments and other laws given to the Israelites but the entire revelation of God, including very importantly the fact that He has provided for our forgiveness and salvation. He has also revealed truths and directions to help us in our life and living. All of it tells of the great love, commitment and faithfulness of God to His people – those who put their trust in Him. For example,
- “Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered” (Psalm 32:1)
- “The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing” (Zephaniah 3:17)
If we soak ourselves in the Scriptures and allow God to use them to speak to us we will begin to discover the reason behind some of David’s great exclamations.
- “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path” (Psalm 119:105)
- “Your statutes are my delight; they are my counsellors” (Psalm 119:24)
- “Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long” (Psalm 119:97)
There is no doubt that David was passionate about the word of God. It is all summed up for us as follows
- “The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple. The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes. The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous. They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb. By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward” (Psalm 19:7-11)
Read the Word expecting to discover some new truth, direction or assurance
Lord open Your Word to me, and me to Your Word, that I may delight in Your revelation of Yourself. Amen.