“Now you are the body of Christ,
and each one of you is a part of it”
(1 Corinthians 12:27)
Something dramatic has happened to us as believers. We have received the Holy Spirit of God. He makes our new relationship with the Father into a living reality. He also unites us to Christ in a new way as we become a part of the Body of Christ – the visible sign of His presence in the world, directed and controlled by the Lord Himself as the Head.
- “Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ” (1 Corinthians 11:3)
- “For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body–whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free–and we were all given the one Spirit to drink” (1 Corinthians 12:13)
- “And he is the head of the body, the church” (Colossians 1:18)
Now when we become united to Christ in His body we also become united to those who are also a part of that body. Our relationship with them becomes completely different as well for we are now brothers and sisters of each other and with the Lord Jesus, and are children together of the same Father.
“In Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others” (Romans 12:5)
What this means is not that other people have become like us, or we like them. What has happened to us all, and what we need to embrace, is that we have all left our previous backgrounds and identities and have stepped together into a new foreground in which we begin to explore our new relationship with the Lord and with each other. That this is important and what the Lord desires could not be clearer.
- “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another” (John 13:34)
- “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another” (John 13:35)
- “This is my command: Love each other” (John 15:17)
It is a journey of which we are all a part and in equal relationship. And if we are to discover and enjoy the blessings and fruit of our new identity and these new relationship we will let go of what will not be helpful.
In summary – the Holy Spirit leads us into and witnesses to the reality of our new identity in Christ and as a part of the Body of Christ. He works with us to unite us to the Lord and to each other. And He produces the blessings and fruit that God has prepared for us all and that are found only in Christ Jesus.
I cannot have two identities for I cannot have two Masters. Choose the one that gives life
Lord forgive me for holding onto the things and ways of my old world – help me to embrace freely the people and ways of Your new world and to enjoy all that You have prepared for me. Amen.