“Our Father in Heaven”
There are some quite amazing titles conferred upon people by God – descriptive of a special relationship with Him.
- Abraham was honoured by God who called him His friend.
- ” you descendants of Abraham my friend” (Isaiah 41:8)
- Moses was also privileged to be known as the friend of God
- “The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend” (Exodus 33:11)
- Joshua was referred to as the servant of the Lord.
- “ After these things, Joshua son of Nun, the servant of the LORD, died at the age of a hundred and ten” (Joshua 24:29)
- David was known as a man after God’s own heart.
- “After removing Saul, he made David their king. He testified concerning him: `I have found David son of Jesse a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do” (Acts 13:22)
- John the Baptist was known as the forerunner of Christ – and as both the greatest and the least.
- “And you, my child, will be called a prophet of the Most High; for you will go on before the Lord to prepare the way for him” (Luke 1:76)
- “ I tell you the truth: Among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he” (Matthew 11:11)
- Jesus was known as the Son of God
- “And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased” (Luke 3:22)
When it comes to us we find to our astonishment that some of them are applied to us as well. For once as His disciples we were the servants of Jesus, then we became His friends, and finally and fully we became His brothers and sisters and co-heirs as the sons and daughters of God.
- “I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you” (John 15:15)
- “For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children” (Romans 8:15-16)
- “Now if we are children, then we are heirs–heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ” (Romans 8:17)
However the world may treat us or think of us, as Christians this is who we are and always will be in the sight, mind and reality of our Father – the Lord God Almighty. It is the way we need to think of ourselves.
Recognise, accept and acknowledge your God-given identity
Father you have called me to You and are pleased to call me Your daughter/son. Help me Lord in all humility to acknowledge, receive and accept this honour and blessing and live within it. Amen.